Written by: Brent Forrester (The Simpsons) and Directed by: John Landis (The Burbs). Starring: Tom Arnold (McHale’s Navy), Jessica Lundy (Single White Female), Bug Hall (The Munster’s Scary Little Christmas), Alex McKenna (Heart Of Fire), Mark Metcalf (Animal House), Matt Keesler (Waiting For Guffman) and Robert Keeshan (Murphy Brown).
The Stupids tells the story of the, ‘Stupid’ family… Now this family is not particularly a bright family… As a matter of fact at one point while Joan Stupid (Lundy) is out searching for her children, she decides that the best way to get passed a crossing guard and a meter maid (she is convinced that the Police and all of their affiliated organizations have kidnapped her kids…) Anyway she decides that the best way to get past them is to cover herself in wigs… As the kids are searching for their father, they decide to lock their bikes to a bus, and even Stanley (Arnold) at one point is certain that he is half human half bush… Not plant, but bush!
Anyway, this all starts one day when Stanley, who is leaving the house to start his day comes to discover that some one has stolen his trash. When he confronts Joan, he comes to discover that she had left the trash outside overnight and that is hows the vandals were able to steal his trash!
With his wife being as upset over the situations as she is though, Stanley resolves to find out who the culprits are that keep stealing his trash every week, and the next week he decides to put out another full can as bait to see what happens.
Well after falling asleep while waiting for the culprits to steal his trash again, a group of garbage men come by to pick up Stanley’s trash. Stanley ends up deciding to pursue the trash men and heads in to his garage to find the fastest mode of transportation… After looking around for a minute and deciding that a bicycle would not be fast enough because it only has two wheels and the family station wagon would not be fast enough either (because that has four wheels), Stanley chooses to use a pair of roller blades (because those have 4 wheels) to chase down the garbage truck to its headquarters!
The next morning Buster (Hall) comes in from walking his pet goldfish and asks his sister Petunia (McKenna) if she had seen their father, and when she hasn’t seen him either, they become convinced that Stanley must have been kidnapped and decide to leave a note saying that they have gone to ask for help from the Police… The only problem is that Buster instead writes, ‘The police have kidnapped your children’! Now after Joan reads this, she panics and decides to hunt for her kids.
Once the Stupid family gets back together, they compare notes and discover an awesome conspiracy that they believe that will affect the rest of the world, and which involves stealing Garbage, and mail that has been marked, ‘returned to sender’! (In the process though, and with out realizing it, they discover a threat to the entire planet and foil it!)
Now what I like about this movie and what I do think makes this a hilarious B Movie is a couple of things:
1. First off I gotta say that the story really is hilarious! And the acting that the cast did in this movie just made it that much more hilarious!
2. I also gotta say that I thought director John Landis did an awesome job, and that his vision for this movie definitely helped make this movie as much fun as it is!
3. Now I thought that you guys might find this interesting but look out for cameos from such people as, Christopher Lee (Dracula A.D. 1972), Mick Garris (Critters 2), and John Landis’ son, Max (Blues Brothers 2000).
4. Also, it looks like this movie was based on the children’s book of the same name by, Harry Allard (Miss Nelson Is Back) and James Marshall (George And Martha)
5. Also I thought that you guys might find this interesting but the last name for ‘Colonel Neidermeyer’ (Played by Mark Metcalf in this movie) is the same last name for another Metcalf character, ‘Doug Neidermeyer’ from John Landis’s classic movie, Animal House (1978).
Well if your looking for a hilarious good time, then I recommend checking this one out! It is a fun one!