When I was younger I came to discover a series of movies and TV series that I found to be rather fascinating, these movies and TV series having to do with family and the secrets, lies and betrayal that especially the more wealtheir families sometimes have…
A couple of fun examples of this being:
1. Grandma’s House (1989):. A movie that has to do with 2 kids who after their father dies and believes that their mother is dead, end up at their Grand Parents house, only to begin thinking that their grand parents are serial killers when one of them discovers his Grand Father was dragging a body down the stairs… This will lead both to discover a family secret that neither one of them would ever forget!
2. Another fascinating movie, and one that I would say is probably a little more well known is, Psycho (1960). Now Psycho told the dark story of Norman Bates (Played by Anthony Perkins), and how he killed his mother… Only to be come his mother!
Another fascinating example is, Flowers In The Attic (1987):
Written and Directed by: Jeffrey Bloom (Juarez). Starring: Kristy Swanson (Deadly Friend), Jeb Stuart Adams (The Goonies), Ben Ryan Ganger (Superman), Lindsay Parker (Critters 2), Victoria Tennant (Best Seller) and Louise Fletcher (Cruel Intentions).
Flowers In The Attic tells the tale of a group of kids that were really born in to the wrong family!
Now what I mean by this is that at the start, Cathy (Swanson), Chris (Adams), Cory (Ganger), Carrie (Parker) and their mother (Tennant) live a very nice life together with the kids Father, (Played by: Marshall Colt), that is until the kids father end up dying due to a car accident…
Now after hearing the news of her husbands death, their mother ends up becoming a bit different… Colder… More distant, etc…
After a few months the family ends up running out of money, and the kids mother decides to hatch a plan to inherit a fortune that would keep every one surviving well for the rest of their lives!
The thing is though with the kids grand parents (and their mother’s parents) are these ridiculously overly religious, filthy rich, and cruel and sadistic (To the point where after they arrive at the Grand Parents house, the Grand Mother (Fletcher) ends up whipping the mother to the point where her back is shredded!)
Now after they arrive at the Grand Parents house, all the kids are locked up in a series of rooms by their Grand Mother. After a few days of being locked up in this room though, the grand mother allows the mother to let the kids play in the attic!
Now as the days turned to weeks, and the weeks to months, and as the kids are beginning to make their prison in to a home for each other, and as the kids mother starts to slowly but surely stop seeing her kids… The kids will have to grow up quickly, and take care of each other… Because lets be honest… No one else in that house will!
Now what I like about this movie and what I think makes this an awesome B movie is a couple of things:
1. Louise Fletcher… What can I say about her? Every time she has played a character that has a cruel and vindictive streak in her, including playing Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, and as Kai Winn Adami in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, she gives me chills almost every time I see her in something!
2. Another thing that I like about this movie believe it or not is because this movie is based on a novel by Virginia Adams (Rain), which I myself have really wanted to read, but have never been able to, but since books are usually better then movies, then I gotta imagine that this book will rock as this movie was pretty awesome!
3. Something that I thought you guys might find rather fascinating is the fact that when Kristy Swanson was introduced to Virginia Adams, Ms. Adams later mentioned, ”just as she pictured Cathy”.
So if your looking for an interesting Drama to sink your teeth in to, then I would recommend this one, it is a fun one!