OR

Celebrating B Movies, Cult Films, and Indie Classics.

The Omega Man (1971)

by  |  November 23rd, 2010  |  Sci Fi  |  7 Comments

You might be wondering what makes The Omega Man an Awesome B Movie… Charlton Heston of course. I mean the guy has been great in everything I have ever seen him in, from Planet of the Apes (1968) to Any Given Sunday (1999) and everything in between! The Omega Man also happens to be the first and in my opinion the best big screen adaption of Richard Matheson’s 1954 novel I am Legend!

You know the old saying about how the movie is never as good as the book? Well don’t worry because The Omega Man is not one of those! It definitely is one of those rare gems where the movie is just as good as the book! I came to discover just how true this is, when one evening I sat down with a buddy of mine to watch it thinking in the back of my mind that this movie will be good, but the book is obviously better. Well little did I know that within the first few moments that not only was this film just as good as the book but fast became one of my favorite Sci Fi/Horror movies!

Written by John William Corrington and his wife Joyce H. Corrington (Battle for the Planet of the Apes) and directed by Boris Sagal (Columbo) the story tells of Robert Neville (Heston), a doctor who due to a helicopter accident and an experimental vaccine is one of a very small handful of humans to survive an apocalyptic biological war.

The plague killed all but a few hundred deformed, nocturnal creatures that are hell bent on destroying what remains of the previous civilization, especially Robert Neville due to his old civilization scientific interests, who is working to find a cure for this disease!

One day while out foraging for supplies he comes across Lisa (Played by Rosalind Cash) another survivor! After having unintentionally chased her off Neville gets trapped in a wine cellar by these a group the mutant! A young man (played by Paul Koslo) rescues him and takes Neville back to his small group of survivors where he meets up again with Lisa and is brought to a boy that has been infected by the plauge.

Now it’s of course a race against time, to not only find a cure for the boy, but also before the creatures finally catch him! All in all The Omega Man contains great elements of the a post apocalyptic zombie genre. Great gun battles endearing survivors that you hope will make it to the promised land (What ever that may be) and of course mutant monsters that will stop at nothing to take them out!

If you like AMC’s ‘The Walking Dead.’ Your sure to love this truly Awesome B Movie!

Nathan Strack

About

I am a huge Horror/B-Movie/Grindhouse movie fan! Rather it be Writing/Acting/Directing or just watching one I love it all!

The Wasp Woman (1959)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
The Arrival (1996)

Comments

1. Dave B.

February 5th, 2011at 2:58 AM(#)

I’ve always been a fan of Vincent Price’s THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (because..well…it’s Vincent Price!), but like you, THE OMEGA MAN is my favorite adaptation of the story. Some truly memorable moments in this film (I saw this as a kid, and the scene that always stuck with me was when he heard all the phones ringing as he stood in the empty street. I don’t know why, but that one scene, more than any other, really got to me).

2. Nathan Strack Nathan Strack

February 8th, 2011at 11:09 AM(#)

That is a cool moment. I mean it was the first moment when it dawned on me the true level isolation Charleton Heston’s character was feeling. For me though, I can’t say as I have 1 favorite moment in the movie. It’s all good, but my favorite sequence of events is everything leading up to when you discover just how long civilizations has collapsed. I always found that to be pretty cool.

3. Jeanne M.

April 29th, 2011at 7:03 AM(#)

Thanks for posting this info about Heston and Cash, as ‘he’ was the one who fought earnestly for her to get the starring role opposite him, told the studio if they didn’t want Rosalind they couldn’t have him either. Great chemistry with these two, guess Hess knew what he was doing, as this is one of my ‘classics’.

4. Nathan Strack Nathan Strack

April 29th, 2011at 11:11 AM(#)

Hey Jeanne,

I agree, this movie is also one of the movies that I also consider to be a total classic. As for Heston and Cash working together, I am glad he did push to have her on as well, because honestly, I do think that both Heston and Cash compliment each other very nicely.

5. Ike Hamill

April 22nd, 2012at 2:51 PM(#)

Funny, I just happened to watch this last weekend. I remembered it fondly from the 80’s, but I was a little disappointed. Heston is a bit of a buffoon, swaying and gnawing through the scenes.
    The movie takes a couple of swipes at social commentary (hippies vs. establishment) that Planet of the Apes captured a few years earlier, but it doesn’t commit.
    The movie also make three passes at Christ on the cross symbolism — Heston in the stadium, the boy in the court, and Heston again in the fountain (at the end). It seemed like they were both trying too hard and yet didn’t have a clear direction.
    Funny, I liked it a lot twenty-five years ago, but not so much last weekend.

6. Nathan Strack Nathan Strack

April 24th, 2012at 4:15 PM(#)

Have you read the book?

7. Robert Corrington

February 20th, 2013at 6:07 PM(#)

Nathan,
    In the article above you wrote “Written by John William Corrington.” In fact the movie was written by John William Corrington and his wife Joyce H. Corrington. I hope you’ll make the correction.

Thanks,
    Robert Corrington
    (son of John and Joyce Corrington)